Breastfeeding is the best gift a mother can offer her newborn baby. The benefits of breastfeeding are numerous. Among others, breastfeeding have the advantages of: contributing to babyâ€™s brain development, is easier to digest, provides powerful antibodies and stimulates the babyâ€™s own immune system, favors bonding with the mother, etc
Breastmilk is also very economical, always ready and has the perfect composition for the developing baby. Breastfeeding is also environmentally friendly as it does not require bottles and does not create wastes of any kind.
Breastfeeding does require a more important involvement from the mother as she is the only one who can provide the babyâ€™s milk. New mothers are often discouraged by the amount of time breastfeeding requires from them and tend to abandon breastfeeding in the first week after birth.
There are many tricks that can make breastfeeding a lot easier. Here are the top ten secrets to a successful breastfeeding experience:
1) Breastfeeding when seen as an occasion to spend quality time with the baby becomes easier and a joyous moment in a new motherâ€™s day.
2) There are many other tasks the father can help with besides breastfeeding thus relieving the mother. The father can prepare meals, change diapers, burp the baby, go for a stroll with the baby while the mother rests or takes a nice shower, etc
3) A sure way of not feeling overwhelmed by breastfeeding is to give up on trying to have the perfect house and letting go of the obsession to dust or vacuum.
4) A breastfeeding mother should rest as much as she can and enjoy a well-deserved nap whenever her baby is sleeping.
5) A breastfeeding mother should keep herself well-hydrated and drink plenty of water. Alcohol and stimulants such as coffee or soft drinks should be avoided as much as possible as they can be passed to the baby through the breastmilk.
6) Learning to understand her babyâ€™s feelings will greatly help a breastfeeding mother.
7) Reading the appropriate books and documentation on breastfeeding will help the new nursing mother. Furthermore, taking part in a breastfeeding support group will prove of immense help.
8) A breastfeeding mother should respect her babyâ€™s rhythm more than any clock. After all, there will be days when her baby will grow more rapidly and will need more frequent feedings.
9) A breastfeeding mother should always have the support of her entourage in her venture. Having to hide to be able to breastfeed or defend oneâ€™s choice to nurse her baby can drain a lot of energy from the new mother.
10) A nursing mother should trust her capacities, accept all the help and support people are offering and know that she is giving her newborn baby the best possible gift.