Weight loss is one of the most important obsessions in American society today. People are constantly searching for a new way to lose weight as fast as possible. Whether you want to fit into that gorgeous dress for your date on Friday night, or you want to get in shape for the upcoming golf season, there are a number of ways that you can lose weight safely and effectively.
But, the problem these days is that most people take diets and weight loss too seriously. Being too serious about anything can lead to disappointment and frustration when things do not work out exactly as you planned. So, if you want to shed some pounds, have a plan indeed, but donâ€™t punish yourself if you fail and need to start again.
To help you, here is a light hearted look at some of the common reasons why you might be overweight.
Starting from the least to most important :
10. Your Grandmother keeps making you cookies and you feel guilty if you donâ€™t eat them.
9. Your spouse makes fun of you when you eat Tofu, so you eat Twinkies instead.
8. Your co-workers keep saying you look great, so why spoil it.
7. Tried Hypnosis, but when you go for a walk you have to stop at every fire hydrant.
6. Your Gym shorts donâ€™t fit anymore.
5. Too embarrassed to admit you donâ€™t know what the word Nautilus means.
4. Exercise makes you lose your breath – better to relax and smoke instead.
3. Canâ€™t get off the couch. Too hooked on Deal or No Deal.
2. Wife threatened to leave you if you didnâ€™t lose 20 pounds.
And the number one reason why you are overweight is:
1. Youâ€™re in training to get on NBCs The Biggest Loser TV Show !
But, seriously, if you need to lose weight, make it fun and not a life sentence. Itâ€™s not that hard if you take it one small step at a time. Here are a few tips to get you started:
-Eat lots of smaller meals throughout the day. If your usual day revolves around three meals, you should try to change this to five smaller meals during the day. This will help you to take in fewer calories during the day at any given time and will help to stimulate your metabolism and burn off the calories you actually consume.
-Exercise for at least twenty minutes 5 out of seven days a week or more. But, make it fun and go for a walk, go skating, play some golf, go cycling, swimming, jogging, or whatever you enjoy. The more you do this, the more calories you will burn and the better your chances of success.
-Cut your carbohydrate consumption as much as possible. Eat more proteins instead (eggs, milk, lean meat, chicken and so on) and youâ€™ll have more sustained energy throughout the day, will feel better and you will lose more inches over time.
More importantly, talk with your doctor about your hopefully healthy weight loss goals and ideas and get their approval first before embarking on any exercise or diet program. Before you know it, you will start feeling more energetic, positive and more alive than ever before.