In headache the pain usually occurs in the smooth muscles encircling the blood vessels, which serve these areas. It also arises from irritation to nerve endings in the shoulder, neck and even scalp muscles. Most headaches occur outside the skull, in the nerves, blood vessels and muscles that cover the head and neck. The muscles or blood vessels can swell, tighten, or go through other changes that stimulate or put pressure on the surrounding nerves of head. These nerves send the rush of messages of pain to the brain, which brings on a headache.
Causes of Headache
* Allergy * Eyestrain * Bright light and loud noise * High blood pressure * Hangover * Stress and anxiety * Nutritional deficiency * Toxins and poisons in the body (constipation) * Lack of food or sleep
Home Remedies for Headache
* Coconut mixed with sugar candy in equal amounts is good for headaches cure. * Warm water gargles for sore throat, nasal cleaning with warm water and steam inhalation are effective methods for treating headaches caused due to cold. * Application of warm poultice made of ginger powder at the forehead is beneficial. * Intake of fresh sliced apple taken in early morning for at least a week cures all chronic headaches. * Put 3-4 drops of cowâ€™s butter or ghee into both nostrils for seven days. * Drinking a glass of water mixed with a teaspoonful of honey in the morning is an effective remedy in the treatment of chronic headaches. * Taking watermelon juice mixed with sugar cures headache due to the excessive heat. * Grind watermelon seeds and white Cuseus grass separately. Now mix them in equal amounts. Take 3-4 grams of the mixture twice a day. * Chronic headaches due to deficiency of iron can be treated with intake of teaspoon of Brewerâ€™s yeast daily. * Application of sandal wood paste on the forehead is effective. * Vitamin C therapy is the best in treatment the headaches due to any infection. * Massaging the head with rosemary oil is an effective measure for immediate relief. * Various yogic asanas like ardhachakrasana, shashankasana and vajrasana are effective in treating headaches. * Yogic kriyas like jalneti and kunjal, pranayamas like anuloma-viloma, shitali and sitkari are very useful in the treatment of headaches. * Grape juice is beneficial in all kinds of headaches. * For immediate relief apply paste of 4-5 cloves on the forehead. * Warm water enema, glycerin enema or soap water enema can be effective if constipation is the cause of headache. * Excessive use of coffee, alcohol, spices, tomatoes, oily foodstuffs and sour buttermilk should not be taken
Quick comforters for headache
* Basil Inhale the essential oil dropped on to boiling water.
* Lemon grass or camomile Two drops of the essential oil added to 3 teaspoons of sunflower oil can be rubbed into the temples.
* Rose Few drops of essential oil added to a warm bath will bring relief.